Audiences and microphones
Mark "went" to Microconf's first remote conference. There were a number of technical issues, but he was fantatically lucky in terms of who he met during the breaks. The very first person he talked to, Richard, lives in Pasadena and knows Justin! He also met someone running a large Elixir meetup and one of the founders of Elixir Drips, the OG screencast that started the niche Alchemist Camp currently occupies!
Justin extended the launch of his bootcamp to his entire email list and is already seeing over 100 people going through the 7-day course. He's offering the premium version of the entrepreneur academy to people who complete it but none have bitten so far. The next step will be to share it on HN to get more people in the funnel and make A/B testing possible.
In related news, Mark has realized that the median result of writing a blog post on Questing Log and submitting it to HN is hitting the front page and getting to #2. We talked a bit about post titles, submission times and user accounts.
There was an interesting discussion between Alex Hillman and Justin Jackson on Twitter about how important it is or isn't for an entrepreneur to build an audience. Mark mentioned it, and as a result Justin jumped onto Twitter after the show and ended up recording an impromptu TechZing interview with Justin Jackson!
We discussed podcasting mics in depth! Hat tip to Ben Orenstein and Pat Flynn for their suggestions and hopefully you'll be able to hear the difference soon! Probably not on Spotify though, at least not in a very listenable version...
Today's Topics include:
- Microconf remote
- Successfully submitting to Hacker News
- How important audience is or isn't
- Podcasting mics
- Spotify for podcasters
- Experience points
- Ben Orenstein's recommended mic: ATR2100
- Justin's anti-recommended mic
- Mark's old mic: Yeti Nano
- Mark's new mic: Samson Q2U
- Discussion on audience: Justin Jackson
- Discussion on audience: Alex Hillman
- TechZing Ep. 333
- Questing Log
- Nugget Academy
Mark's goals for next time
- Use the mic and record, record record!
- Follow up with the new Microconf connections
- Upgrade Phoenix Igniter to v1.5 (lower priority)
Justin's goals for next time
- Focus primarily on making Slider (a Roblox game)
- Jump on the trampoline for 15 minutes a day
- No dairy for a week
- Add more people to the Nugget bootcamp funnel
Video version at https://youtu.be/q6cs2BCah_c
Comment at https://reactor.am/podcasts/29
On Apple Podcasts at https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/reactor/id1500109358
Recorded on 2020-09-02Back